Avocado Roundup is a morning review of top tax, legal, and climate news stories. It’s written by humans.
- Qatar recently amended its income tax act to pave the way for the country to introduce a qualified domestic minimum top-up tax under the OECD’s Pillar Two rules for a 15% global minimum tax. The country is “resolutely committed” to introduce a QDMTT, which it has already completed and on which it plans to hold an internal consultation. “An external consultation is not excluded,” said Lotfi Sellami Khelil, an international tax adviser in Qatar’s General Tax Authority, in a LinkedIn post. (LinkedIn)
- Khelil commented as the Qatar GTA held the second day of its regional workshop in Doha on Pillar Two’s global anti-base erosion model rules, with Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development officials giving presentations on designing and implementing a QDMTT and safe harbor. (Gulf Times)
- Indian tax authorities hit the local branch of Colgate Palmolive with an approximately $20.4 million (170 million rupees) transfer pricing adjustment, disallowing certain international transactions for the consumer product company’s fiscal year 2021-2022, according to local reports. The company plans to file an appeal to the authority’s dispute resolution panel, according to the reports, citing a company press release. (Financial Express) (Investing.com)
- El Salvador is charging travelers arriving from India and Africa a $1,000 tax, in a measure that appears to be aimed at dissuading migrants from using the country’s airport to reach the United States, according to reports. (Times Of India) (Miami Herald) (La Prensa)
Tax Increases, Rulings
- Big Four professional services firm PricewaterhouseCoopers named the Washington, DC-based head of its international business, Mohamed Kande, to be its next global chair. (Financial Times)
- Cleary Gottlieb promoted 15 lawyers to partner, including two tax partners in New York, effective Jan. 1, 2024. It promoted six attorneys to counsel and three to senior attorney. (ClearyGottlieb.com)